Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Thirty Items or Less

Sometimes in the business of returning things, especially without a receipt, it seems like there should be a limit of items. One particular day, I had one customer try to return 21 items that were "gifts". Maybe laundry detergent would be a good house warming gift if I believed his story that he just moved to town. One problem with that: he had a local driver's license, and those usually take months to get to people. Of the 20 items, one was not from our store. Later that day, a guy tried to return 27 DVDS and 2 video games. He had a receipt, but no idea which movies were on there. Anyway, I found four of the movies on there, and because he couldn't produce a driver's license, I told him I'd walk him to the door with all of the 25 things he couldn't return. He asked me, "What does that mean? Walk me to the door?"

A couple of days later, there was a woman returning several things with a receipt, and a couple things without any receipts. Before she walked up, there was someone returning a giant musical/video game with a recent receipt and a system that was obviously older. So, somebody from that department had made her way to the Customer Service Counter and was carefully comparing the new game with the one those wandering customers were returning. So, the woman who had come behind them suddenly became very agitated and impatient. She told us I shouldn't have started to help her if I couldn't focus soley on her. From that point on, I continued with her return, but I felt no need to offer any friendliness or patience with her. I curtly told her, I'll need your driver's license for the items you are returning without a receipt. The first thing she had to sign, she thanked me for the money she got back, but I said nothing. The second time she thanked me I repsponded, "You're welcome" without thanking her like I usually do. When someone is impatient and unfriendly it really warms my heart. I feel so forturnate to have met this person, and I feel that it is no coincidence that I was the one who got to help this customer. I want to get all corny and tell the person that I don't make friends easily, but I hope this person will come back and see me soon to return another thirty items or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment