Thursday, March 4, 2010

Attitude

Sometimes, in the case of customer service, and in other areas of life, the thing that really makes a difference is attitude. As an employee, I try to think, okay, not everyone is trying to steal from my store. On the other hand, does every customer deserve service with a smile when she herself is being a royal queen bee? I thought this a couple of times yesterday. The first person who made me think this walked up complaining that she hadn't gotten a receipt several hours earlier, and this was due to our machines. I mean the first thing out of her mouth wasn't a civil greeting but an accusation of blame so that I would be responsible for her not having a receipt. Of course, she was exchanging the items she'd purchased at that time of the supposed machine failure. There's just something about someone who is immediately on the war path that makes another person want to put up her defenses. Anyway, I helped her, and she was very friendly to my coworker who was standing nearby, but then before she left she was complaining again in her sarcastic tone about the way I'd handled something else with her return. When she walked off, I discovered that the counter I slammed my hand on was not even intact. I will never forget her face. I think I would have thought she had a pretty face if she hadn't been griping and frowning. I will so remember her the next time she doesn't have a receipt and according to her it's my fault. That's if she didn't anger someone in the parking lot who retaliated and ran over her.

Another person last night complained that somebody in the store had told her the wrong time for a certain service we offer closing in the store. At first the woman acted like she didn't believe me that the said service had ended. So, she walked off, and I mumbled to myself that I wasn't going to argue with her. Then, she returned to my station and demanded to talk to management, because someone on the telephone had supposedly told her the wrong information. A manager came over, and apologized. Then, the manager told me to provide the service to her. So, I did. During that transaction, the woman tried to apologize. I wasn't going to forgive her for being rude and possibly getting me in trouble for something I didn't do (ie. I didn't even talk to her on the phone much less give her the wrong information). I hate when someone is rude and demanding, and then suddenly somehow seems to care about my opinion of her. So, I didn't say anything. I just did my job and acted like I didn't hear her lame apologies. Later, after I'd closed down my own area, I saw the person most likely to have talked to the woman on the phone. She knew the correct time that sevice would have ended, and said she wouldn't have relayed anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment