Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Yelling Louder

Have you ever noticed, when two people are fighting, sometimes one or both persons will get louder for no good reason? I've gotten louder in a heated conversation without even realizing it. The other day, there was this guy who was also a customer, and he had a complaint about our store. Our big, big, worldwide store. A store so big I used to boycott it long ago, because of its hiring practices. I figured that had to change when I was hired by this store in a heartbeat, when other places rejected me for no good reason, other than someone didn't like the way I had my hair cut or the way I wore my clothing. Now, I am a happy employee of this store that is not about to go belly-up anytime soon, and a good deal of my income goes to this store. So do other people's incomes go to this store. Anyway, this complaining, whining customer demanded to see upper management. So, he did.

I liked how the customer was yelling at the top of his lungs, as though this would make his point more valid, or would prove his point. The manager calmly asked the man what was his proof of the specific offense he claimed that had happened to his product? What the guy was saying was that the item was defective in some way, not working, plus it was missing a thingamuhjigger, and that it was returned to our store and then returned to the shelves before he purchased it. The manager said, "Well, sometimes those don't have a [thingamuhjigger], so how do you know it was supposed to have one?" The guy wasn't being heard, even though he was yelling. The manager wasn't being understanding and kissing up to him. He wasn't giving him whatever the customer wanted beyond what was reasonable. So, the raving customer was saying how he was going to sue our store, and we'd all be sorry. At no point did the manager's own temper seem to rise. He just responded, "Okay, you do that." I almost clapped my hands and said, "Bravo," but then I remembered I was watching real life.

Later that same day, or maybe it was the next, there was a woman trying to return something without a receipt. She was told we don't refund that item without a receipt. She complained. A manager was called over, and told her the same exact policy. The woman asked where it was written that this was our store's policy. I wanted to put in my two cents and say, "Maybe it's on the back of your receipt," but I didn't. Sometimes it's really tempting to be a smart alec with the customers who can be whatever way they choose. I have had people ask me such questions, and I point to our very clear policies written on the wall. The woman wanted to speak to higher management. Luckily, passing by there was the manager from the other incident helping a customer out with a very large object. Unfortunately, it was time for my lunch, and I didn't get to stick around to find out what happened. I meant to ask someone upon my return, but we were so busy I never got a chance. Now that's real life!

No comments:

Post a Comment