Sunday, January 3, 2010

Stuff Breaks

Okay, we all know how a child can break a toy immediately, and then he or she starts playing with the box. I guess the people who return decorations and trees after the holidays also figure they might as well return the toys that are already broken. I admit the tree and decorations thing kind of bothers me. That's like buying a dress, wearing it to a party, and then returning it to the store afterwards.

Back to breaking things. I broke something yesterday morning as soon as I clumsily took it out of the box. After determining I couldn't get the thing to operate properly, I removed the batteries and threw the thing away. However, that's not what I'm really wondering about things that get returned. Do I think that things are not made as well as they used to be? Of course I know this to be true, but what I wonder is did something fall apart on its own, or did someone intentionally break it because he or she thought there wouldn't be a refund on an item with nothing wrong with it? Personally, I'd rather see something being returned that could be resold, not something that is damaged goods. So, I almost want to tell people, don't rip your pants, don't drop things repeatedly on the floor, don't use a sledgehammer on something if you regret your purchase, just take stuff back fairly intact!

No comments:

Post a Comment