Saturday, January 2, 2010

Post Purchase Dissonance

Yesterday, the first day of the year, I did not have to work, and I did go shopping! Now, today, like someone recovering from a hangover, I am recovering from my mad spending spree, and I have post purchase dissonance. In other words, I'm sorry I bought all of the stuff I bought. But will I take back the stuff? No. I will even keep the little speakers I bought for $7.50 that I might have broken immediately just by not understanding how they were put together and trying to adjust them. I still can't tell if they work or not, because the electronic device I was trying to attach to them was out of power.
At least I don't regret getting a little digital camera for $20. Ironically, last night when looking for a recharger for rechargeable batteries which I will eventually put in the camera, I found my last two digital cameras which I think might each be missing things.
Last night was one of those nights where I'm not sure if I slept or not. I think maybe I didn't sleep, though I stayed in bed some of the night and at least rested. So, this added to my feeling of a hangover and my clumsiness with the speakers.
One time when I was out of bed and definitely not sleeping, I set up the new camera. I took a picture of my oldest son, and saved it to the computer. Then, because I thought he didn't want me posting a picture of him without his shirt, I also used the photo software to color a black t-shirt on him. Then, whenever I tried to upload this picture on the internet, it wouldn't let me do it with my adjusted version, because of the format.
Okay, back to my post purchase dissonance, which is one way I can relate to my customers, even though I hate returning things myself. I bought some things from one of my favorite stores, which is in another state from where I live. The problem is not how much I bought, which was only 5 items, it was how much a spent, which was way too much. Actually, thinking about my hoarding disorder, buying even one of those 5 things was a bad idea. Plus, the other things I bought at three other stores didn't help my overall day of over-spending and over-buying.
Sitting here texting my significant other and simultaneously writing this, I've come up with a solution, which will not really help maginificently in the overall scheme of my hoarding problem, but it will help not add to it. I've decided for every item I bought yesterday, I will give away one item from my house. Afterall, one of my excuses was some of my clothing is very worn, so I bought five pieces of clothing, and then I bought electronics and posters and things from the other stores. So, like I said, I will pack up at least one item for each one I purchased yesterday to give to charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment