Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Two Fer

You know how most full service grocery stores will say, "2 for $5," and they hope the customer will assume it would cost more than $2.50 for one? But then sometimes at a convenience store they will actually have a true discount for buying more than one thing?

Okay, so today I stopped by my corner convenience store for some milk. They had a sign that said "2 for $5". This referred to the gallon jugs of milk. Below that in tinier print it said, "single at the regular price." Okay, so I realize I probably only get the discount if I get two gallons. To check this, I look at the sticker on the shelf for the single price. To my surprise, it says "2.49". So, thinking I'm saving a penny, I only pick up one gallon, plus, I chose a bunch of overpriced snacks, but that's beside the point, right?

Then, when I checked out, the cashier didn't remind me to use my discount card from their sister full-service grocery store. Usually the cashiers at my corner convenience store do remind me. I'm not saying it's anybody's responsiblity but my own, I'm just saying it would have been nice if he had done this . I remind customers at my store about using discount cards and coupons. After I paid for the stuff, and my son and I are leaving, I look at my receipt and see I was charged $2.79 for the gallon of milk. I ask the guy about it, and he tells me I'd only get the discount if I bought 2 gallons of milk. So then I tell him the "regular price" was supposed to be $2.49 according to the shelf sticker. The guy helped the next customer, and then he goes back and sees what I'm saying is true. Then he says, "Oh, somebody must have screwed up." But, does he reimburse me the thirty cent difference? Of course not, because he's not all about customer service and pleasing the customer. I'm going to remember his face if he's ever in my store wanting a refund without a receipt or something like that! Just kidding! Kind of!

No comments:

Post a Comment