Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Funny Night

Okay, I just wrote the story entitled BINGO, and then there were suddenly ads for bingo supplies, etc. on my editing page. I just have to mention that tonight, I saw the woman in the red coat! I saw her coat, recognized her, saw that she was shopping in my store, made eye contact with her, then looked away and took off in another direction through racks of clothing. One of the biggest and most frequent complaints I had today was from people who'd already gotten store credit for items for which they had no receipt. Their complaint was stickers/and or signs with larger amoutns. There was even a customer who called me from the other end of the store to complain that an item was now selling for more than what she was refunded I explained that without a receipt, she could only get whatever was the lowest amount the item was ever priced in our store. She claimed that didn't make any sense, and so I told her she could come to customer service and I'd have manager come talk to her there. I was thinking how there was a long line forming at customer service, because I was the only person working there, and I was talking on the phone to someone who was actually in the store! The other person who had a similar sentiment about the lower price credited to someone without a receipt claimed that the gift basket was from her son, and she insisted he paid the higher price that was on the tag! I wanted to ask her how did she know what he paid? But, instead, I just told her I needed a receipt to be able to give her that amount. Oh, and one of my worst "cases" tonight was a guy who brought up a receipt and said he'd been double charged for everything. He said he'd pulled out his WIC card too soon, and that this had caused the problem. Well, all I could see on his receipt was evidence of his having used a credit card, and that some things were rung up 2 and three times. At first, I thought I would try to just refund the whole order, and then I'd start from scratch and ring it up again. Well, I was trying to use the actual items in the return, and mark them off of the receipt. However, while I was doing this tedious exercise, the guy kept apologizing with a tone of laughter, and worst of all, he kept staring at me like he was trying to burn a hole in me. It was very unnerving, and I had to restrain myself from asking him to please stop staring at me. Anyway, at the end of the "return" everything had rung up to a total that was $10 more than he'd been charged to his credit card. I tried to get someone to come help me, and another person came and told me I really needed to take my last break. No kidding, I thought. Anyway, even though I'd done all of that work, it was obvious I needed to start all over again. There was a little clarification from the point that an employee noticed the milk had been voided from the order, and I was still trying to refund it. The second time I tried to refund the entire order, I just typed in the numbers off of the receipt. This time, I ended up with the exact total that had been charged to his credit card. Hurray! Then, as soon as I rang everything up, minus one item he decided not to get, he announced he didn't have his wallet. Well, looking at the long line of people, and my coworkers who had to come up to help all of these people, I was thinking,oh brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment